I have a stack of books waiting for me to pick them up and crack them open. I have sample pages of eBooks on my Kindle waiting for me to click them. Yet, I keep finding myself searching for new Kresley Cole Immortal After Dark books. This series centers around a variety of Lore creatures from Valkyrie to Lykae to Shifters to Vampires to many others who secretly live among humankind. I love all things paranormal, but more than that draws me into her books.
As a writer, my curiosity about how Cole hooks readers led me to this list:
- Rich and vivid world building. I have no problem imagining the settings Cole creates. She doesn’t dedicate page after page to description, rather she brings the environment alive through her characters’ POV and shows them interacting with their surroundings.
- Strong, well thought out characters. I am amazed by how seamlessly she weaves her characters into the different books in this series. Each one focuses on a hero and heroine, their individual goals (which conflict with one another), the obstacles in their way, and how they intend to reach their goals. She brings in characters from other books in the series who inadvertently and sometimes advertently (Nix, I’m talking about you) affect one another. Each character has their own sense of humor and made me laugh at the most unexpected moments.
- Deep paranormal immersion. This world that Cole has created is ripe with powerful paranormal beings who have weaknesses and scars. There’s the Valkyrie,who are fierce, beautiful women with an affinity for movies, video games, and swiping clothes from one another. The Lykae, Vampires, Demons, Beserkers, and Fey are powerful, wicked, and scarred.
- Thrilling and intricate plots. So far, every Immortal After Dark book I’ve read mentions the Accession, a kind of mystical checks-and-balances system for an ever-growing population of immortals. Readers get to see this thing unfold from multiple points of view. I’m impressed with how tightly the story lines are weaved from one book to another. The adventures take readers around the world.
- Last, but not least, the romance. Cole knows how to create mental, physical, and sexual tension between characters in a believable way. Her passionate, virile male characters are lethally protective over their fated mates, even though these women can hold their own.
What draws you into a book series? Who can’t you quit?
[Note: Cole writes adult paranormal romance.]