Yesterday, one of my critique partners, Dawn Allen, wrote a post on our group blog titled Finding Your Genre. She touched on the basic genres: paranormal, sci-fi, mystery, suspense-thriller, romance, fantasy, historical, and contemporary. To read her post, click here.
Today, I’ll be discussing paranormal and paranormal romance tropes, or certain elements which often appear within these genres. Paranormal stories revolve around supernatural beings such as vampires, zombies, werewolves, angels, ghosts, goblins, dragons shifters, etc. It also encompasses humans who possess otherworldly abilities such as clairvoyants, super-human strength or speed, mind readers, or (excuse the shameless plug for my debut novel 🙂 ) a girl who can trigger earthquakes, etc.
Common themes which appear in paranormal and paranormal romances:
- Reluctant vampires, or characters who experience difficulty with The Change
- Possession by demon, alien, ghost, etc.
- Chill of being watched/stalked by something unknown
- Character who possess a natural scent which allures the opposite gender, sometimes to distraction
- Crazy clairvoyants
- Communication from beyond the grave, through mirrors, phones, TVs, etc.
- Characters who hate each other when they first meet, but are inseparable by the end of the story
- Arrogant heroes who meet reality
- Feeble heroines who discover they possess supernatural powers
- A journey from this world to another realm
As a paranormal and paranormal romance reader, I enjoy watching characters experience and/or fight to overcome the obstacles and situations above. I love it when I think I know what’s going to happen next, and then BAM! Something unexpected happens.
Can you think of other tropes used in this paranormal/paranormal romance?
Be sure to visit Leatrice McKinney’s blog on Tuesday (1/29) to see what she has to say about sci-fi and fantasy tropes. Dawn Allen will post about horror and mystery tropes on her blog next Thursday (1/31).
Also, there’s still time to sign up to join the Let’s Get Organized blog hop. I’m planning to add guest post, book reviews, and book tours to my blogging schedule. Find the Linky list at the bottom of this post to join the fun.